“It’s estimated that every year there are 1,000-3,000 new chemicals introduced in just America.” – Sophia Gushee
This week we are honored to welcome Sophia Gushee, a sought after toxic exposures expert also known as a “clean living guru” all the way from New York! Sophia first cultivated an interest in researching toxic exposures simply as a mom trying to find safe products for her children. But she didn’t stop there! Eight years of research later, she bravely self published her first book “A to Z of D-Toxing: The Ultimate Guide to Reducing Our Toxic Exposures” in 2015. What we love most about Sophia is that she advocates for practical nontoxic living, recognizing that everyone is going to be different in what they’re willing to give up, and balance is key, as it is impossible to live completely non toxic. Are you looking for guidance as to what you can do to reduce toxins in your everyday life? This episode is for you! And if you’re hesitant to make any big changes, that’s okay too! Sophia shares with us some really simple, small things you can do, like putting your phone in airplane mode while you sleep or making sure to ventilate while cooking on the stove. We’ll focus on the four different pillars of exposure where you have control – your indoor home environment, diet, self care, and radiation from technologies. We’ll talk about what to avoid and the not-so-obvious things to pay attention to. There really is something for everyone to take away from this episode, so be sure to check it out! After the episode, Sophia will share with us her personal practice which is a beautiful Gratitude practice she does at home.
“Our bodies are naturally designed to heal and thrive but we just want to reduce the burden that our body has to deal with.” – Sophia Gushee
- Gratitude Practice
Sophia Ruan Gushee
- What your morning ritual? It’s not consistent, but on an ideal morning when I wake up, I will take a minute to imagine how I would really like breakfast to go. Because if I don’t do that I find I’m really reactive and grumpy and I’m snapping at the kids.
- Is there a product or food or something that you are currently obsessed with? Raw Elements is a brand that has sunscreen that was designed for lifeguards – or maybe it was designed by lifeguards – and I love the way it makes my skin look and it’s low toxicity.
- If there was any book you could recommend besides your own, and it doesn’t have to be about this subject, that has just informed you or changed the way you viewed the world, what would it be? Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
- Type of Meditation you rely on most?
Psychic Meditation which is energy tools, visual meditation which is also her personal practice
- Helpful tip for valuable meditation?
Focus on your breath, take the pressure off yourself that you have to do it right. Keep showing up and try different meditation to find what works for you.
- Self-Care Hack?
I make sure to clear everyone out of my space every night and get out into nature. I clear people’s energy by creating a bubble out infront of you, putting everyone from the day in that bubble, and then blow up the bubble. This gives the person their energy back.
- If you could give any piece of life advice what would it be?
If you don’t like how things are going, believe that you can change your perception and everything else will change.