“Keep asking yourself - will this bring me towards wellbeing or away from wellbeing?" – Heather Prete
Who says holidays HAVE to be stressful? In this short Holiday Survival Guide BONUS episode – we are joined by DEN Senior Mindfulness Teacher, who you all know and love, Heather Prete. Our goal is to provide you with tips and tricks and all practical things that anyone can do to make the holidays easier. We were lucky enough to have so many of you send in questions and topics you’d like us to discuss, so the beauty of this episode is that it is all about YOU and we cover pretty much everything! Be sure to stay until the end as Heather shares a Self Compassion Body Scan which you can practice anytime.
Heather gives us practical tips on caring for others, how to honor change in our lives, she shares a mindfulness exercise she learned at Thich Nhat Hanh’s Monastery in France, gives us an important question to ask ourselves throughout the holidays to help make decisions and even a self compassion body scan that she does to prep for the holidays. We even talk about how to eat mindfully during a time filled with parties and gatherings! Whether the holidays stress you out or not – this episode is filled with mindfulness based tips that you can implement in your daily life.
“Find something that you can use as an anchor throughout the night that brings you joy.” – Heather Prete
- Self-Compassion Body Scan
DEN Meditation Mentions
10 Holiday Tips from Mindfulness Expert, Heather Prete
- Go to parties at the tail-end so you can spend more time with the host!
- Check in with your body to decide the best time to be in a department store so you’re not overwhelmed while shopping
- Find ways to express love such as sending a dessert or flowers to family you can’t be with
- Find something beautiful you can focus on and come back to throughout the night as an anchor for joy – ie. Your Christmas tree
- Caring for others can be mutually beneficial. Think of it as coming together, rather than giving and receiving!
- Find ways to bring joy into difficult moments.
- Check in on “What’s healthy for me?” “Is this bringing me towards or away from well being?”
- When talking politics, really listen to the other person. Even if you don’t agree, your relationship is more important than being right or wrong.
- Set a loving boundary of not going to a family members if it doesn’t bring you joy.
- Be sassy with your inner critic – let it take the day off for the holidays!
- Type of Meditation you rely on most?
Psychic Meditation which is energy tools, visual meditation which is also her personal practice
- Helpful tip for valuable meditation?
Focus on your breath, take the pressure off yourself that you have to do it right. Keep showing up and try different meditation to find what works for you.
- Self-Care Hack?
I make sure to clear everyone out of my space every night and get out into nature. I clear people’s energy by creating a bubble out infront of you, putting everyone from the day in that bubble, and then blow up the bubble. This gives the person their energy back.
- If you could give any piece of life advice what would it be?
If you don’t like how things are going, believe that you can change your perception and everything else will change.