“I want people to connect with their most authentic selves and let that resonate in their voice, what they do, how they move
and breathe.” – Emily Morwen
This week we sit down with Emily Morwen, who is the co-founder of Modo Yoga LA! Emily talks to us about several transitions in her life that led her to open her yoga studio here in Los Angeles, which so happens to be next door to our DEN Meditation La Brea location. After leaving a long term relationship and making the big move from Canada to the U.S., she decided to put her acting career on hold to pursue another passion. Emily is an inspiring example of following your path and intuition even when it leads you in a different direction than planned. She tells us stories from her first experiences in L.A. trying to make money, starting with small steps such as posting flyers for private yoga lessons. It wasn’t long after that she decided to focus all her energy on opening her own studio with her co-founder, Deena Robertson. Modo Yoga started originally in Canada and has over 80 locations worldwide, all with individual owners who collectively meet every year to create a like-minded community focused on acceptance and diversity. Emily talks to us about what makes this community so special, why practicing hot yoga resonates with her, and how she incorporates her own grounding techniques (such as singing) into her yoga classes. Join us after as Emily leads us in a 15 minute guided meditation!
“The goal is that you’re ultimately leaving with a little bit more peace than when you came in.” – Emily Morwen
- Connecting Meditation
- What is your daily practice now? Try to get on mat at studio or at least 15 min at house. Sometimes do a guided meditation, depending on the day.
- What spirtual book or podcast is one that you go to? Anything that Pema Chodron has written, John Kabat-Zinn’s books and meditations. For a guided practice: Annie Carpenter and Seane Corn.
- Is there a documentary or movie that resonates with you? Really impacted/inspired/paralyzed by An Inconvenient Truth.
- Is there a teacher you follow? My partner, Jess, really inspires me.
- Type of Meditation you rely on most?
Psychic Meditation which is energy tools, visual meditation which is also her personal practice
- Helpful tip for valuable meditation?
Focus on your breath, take the pressure off yourself that you have to do it right. Keep showing up and try different meditation to find what works for you.
- Self-Care Hack?
I make sure to clear everyone out of my space every night and get out into nature. I clear people’s energy by creating a bubble out infront of you, putting everyone from the day in that bubble, and then blow up the bubble. This gives the person their energy back.
- If you could give any piece of life advice what would it be?
If you don’t like how things are going, believe that you can change your perception and everything else will change.